Blogger Widgets

...

TRANSLATE AS YOU LIKE

March 07, 2012

ADRs in HIV patients using Antiretroviral therapy


A study recently published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases credited AIDS treatment for saving 3,000,000 years of life in the United States. While effective treatment of common AIDS-related opportunistic infections has indeed benefited AIDS patients, the study cites treatments that decrease the virulence of the HIV virus as having the greatest impact on mortality rates of AIDS patients. In the United States and countries that can afford it, the standard treatment for HIV is highly active antiretroviral treatment, HAART for short. HAART is composed of a combination of three or four drugs that fit into as many as three categories: reverse transcriptase inhibitors, protease inhibitors, and fusion inhibitors. Each of these categories of drugs attempts to interrupt the viral life cycle at a different point. Reverse transcriptase inhibitors block the activity of reverse transcriptase, an enzyme the virus uses to build new DNA from its RNA. Protease inhibitors inhibit the activity of viral enzymes used by HIV to cleave new proteins for final assembly into new HIV virons. Fusion inhibitors, the newest addition to the HAART treatment, block entry of HIV into the cell membrane, preventing infection of uninfected cells. The medications of HAART complement each other and are taken together to give an additive effect. 
While the HAART treatment has had a profound impact on the AIDS epidemic in America, it should be understood that the HAART treatment is not a cure for HIV and carries its own drawbacks. Until recently, the only HAART treatments available were complicated regimens that required patients to take a series of pills at varying times of the day. Atripla, a new once a day HAART treatment, has greatly simplified the HIV treatment regimen but it is not for everyone. Aside from its expense, it is likely that the HIV virus in some people will eventually evolve to become resistant to one or more drugs in Atripla, and those patients will have to revert to more complicated treatment regimens. 
While side effects of HAART treatment vary considerably between individuals and the particular medicines making up their therapy, the most common side effects include diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting ("Side effects"). Lipodystrophy is another common side effect of HAART treatment in which fat is redistributed to other parts of the body. Often in this condition, face and limbs become thin while one's breasts, stomach and/or neck enlarge. Hyperglycemia and onset of diabetes have also occurred in a significant number of HAART patients. Liver toxicity including liver failure, pancreatitis and neuropathy are other unpleasant and potentially life threatening side effects experienced by some patients. These side effects can amount to such a physical and psychological burden that patients skip doses or stop taking their medications all together which increases the likelihood of drug resistance developing. In fact, about 25 % of patients stop therapy within the first year on HAART because of side effects (akshaya srikanth et.al 2012). Reconstitution of the immune system, a major goal of HAART treatment, may even carry risks in some patients. A debilitating inflammatory syndrome has recently been linked to HAART treatment. 
This podcast was not meant to scare anyone away from seeking HAART therapy; indeed as I stated earlier, it is very effective in combating infection and allows many HIV positive patients to live longer healthier lives. My goal was to simply alert people to the fact that there are frequently side effects and complications associated with HAART treatment. Prevention is still the best treatment for HIV that carries no side effects. 
Read complete article at
Incidence of adverse drug reactions in HIV-positive patients using antiretroviral therapy http://t.co/AkIB1rf4
by
Akshaya Srikanth
Pharm.D Intern
RIMS, Kadapa
India

3 comments:

  1. MY HIV DISEASE WAS CURED BY PROPHET ABUDU FROM AFRICA, WITH HIS HERBAL HEALING SPELL/ (drabuduspiritualspellhome@gmail.com ).
    DR Abudu is the only Dr who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, I have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, I always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day I was just browsing on the internet when I come across a great post of! Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime I really wonder why people called him Papa abudu, I never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing I will never forget that anyone who contacted him is! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so I was amazed all the time I heard that from him, so I did all things only to see that at the very day which he said I will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and I becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so I will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said I am HIV negative, I am very amazed and happy about the healing Dr abudu gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: (EMAIL HIM ON: drabuduspiritualspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 27, 2014

    i am Michael Davis from Los Angeles, CA. i want to share my testimony with you In 1985, at the age of 25, having heard so much about the 'AIDS epidemic,' I decided to take the test. I tested positive. I went for a second opinion and again the result was positive. Since I had heard and read that the virus could be dormant for a long time, I opted to eat well, exercise, take high quality vitamins and limit 'risky sex.' However, my gut feeling was that something wasn't adding up with AIDS, and I almost immediately chose not to accept the virus as a detriment to my health. "Throughout the years I've lived my life almost as if AIDS didn't exist but still gathered information from various sources. then i saw this great Dr charles and contacted him with his email address and i told him the problem i was facing and i know he can help because i have heard so much about him so he gave me some instruction to follow which i followed accurately and he assured me that once he help me to cast a spiritual spell on my sickness that i will healed with 48hours and i had so much faith on him, he actually caste the spell on me and today i am back to my normal health i was tested and the prove it that i am HIV negative all thanks and appreciation goes to Dr charles for helping me to cast away my HIV virus. i would like all of you who have similar problem to contact him today with his email hivspelltemple@gmail.com or phone +2349038409325 so that he can help to restore your health

    ReplyDelete
  3. I urge you all to get INDI-DRUGS herbal remedy is highly spiritual, 100 of peoples living with hiv/Aids have testify how the drugs cured there hiv/Aids, and i,m still giving my testimony on how the INDI-DRUGS cure my hiv/aids.. Go for the spiritual sacrifice and go for the drugs, you we be cure after taking INDI-DRUGS. Request for your healing today and you be heal. Email address hivcurecenter@gmail.com and you will know the powers in his drugs. I wish you all healing as you get your healing process. or call him on +2348115435381

    ReplyDelete